Basketball can develop a child’s teamwork and leadership skills, as well as confidence and self esteem. Basketball is an international sports and is game that most people love. This fun loving game is affordable and is great for children and adults. Basketball is a fast moving game that involves a lot of variety, including shooting, dribbling, passing, rebounding, defence and much more.
According to Peel Public health in 2004 children 2-17 , 26% were overweight or obese and in the region of Peel 28% in grade 7 to gr 12 were either overweight or obese mostly male than females.
The health benefits to this fast moving game will help children stay active and healthy. Basketball is a great workout which helps your body
• Burn calories (an hour of basketball can burn 630–750 calories)
• Build endurance
• Improve balance and coordination
• Develop concentration and self-discipline
• Build up muscle.
• Help you to make new friends and see them regularly
• Teach you about being a good team player
• Be played by people of all ages and all abilities
• Be played all year round because it’s usually an indoor sport
• Be a fun game that kids of all levels and ages can enjoy
In basketball you require minimal equipment to play
All you need is…
• Basketball or sports shoes that provide good ankle support and comfortable
• Mouth guards your choice or needed
• Protective knee and elbow pads
How to prepare for basketball
• Warm up and stretch your muscles and joints before hitting the court. Also cool down and stretch after playing.
• Make sure you have plenty of fluids on hand and rehydrate regularly.
• Don’t overdo it (this will depend on your age and condition). Mix it up with other low-impact sports
• Try to practice as much as you can but don’t forget education is the key! Stay focus